Monday, March 1, 2010

Mark Twain, Featured Cat of the Month


I have no photos of Mark Twain as a kitten, since he became a member of the family when he was approximately a year old. I had originally thought he was a feral cat, who showed up for dinner every day. And he would chase other feral cats, namely Ginny, away from the food bowl. This went on for a couple of weeks, until I decided to see what would happen if I spoke to the orange-and-white tabby. Much to my surprise, I discovered Mark Twain was a very friendly cat, who immediately came over to me. He was not in the least bit feral, other than scavenging for food. I suspect Mark Twain was also used to dogs, because he formed an immediate attachment to Rebel. Perhaps the fact that Godot pretty much ignored him, not to mention the fact that Karma wanted the stray cat out of the house, had something to do with Mark Twain's fondness for Rebel, his best friend ever since he moved into the house. However, it is somewhat of a one-sided best friendship, because it is Mark Twain who considers Rebel to be his best friend. Rebel, on the other hand, appears to have no favorites among the cats, and he never takes sides in any cat disputes, because Rebel is our unbiased peacemaker. But I would bet money that, if the need ever arose, Mark Twain would fight for Rebel.

No comments:

Post a Comment