Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Turkey Buzzards

A week ago, I had three turkey buzzards on my property. That is, they flew into the trees when I approached them to take a photo. They had actually been tending to their duties as nature's undertakers. Unfortunately, a poor opossum had been killed on my road. Anyway, the vulture whose picture I took from a distance did not rejoin his two friends, who returned to their dining experience. But even those two vultures soon gave up, since their meal kept being interrupted by traffic. As I watched drivers brake for the birds in the middle of the road, I wondered if vultures ever become roadkill--and if so, who are their undertakers, so to speak? By the way, I had a close encounter with a turkey buzzard on my road a couple of years ago. I have to say, they have an impressive wingspan, especially when they appear to be flying head-on into one's windshield!

No comments:

Post a Comment