Monday, August 2, 2010

Two Weeks Ago

Two weeks ago, my viewing of The View was interrupted by a knock at the door. A woman who introduced herself as my neighbor from up the road inquired if I had been missing an orange cat with a fluffy tail. Apparently, several weeks ago, the woman's orange cat with a fluffy tail had gone missing. Then one day the woman's husband discovered the cat, muddy and soaking wet from the rain, killed by a vehicle on our road. The man quickly buried the cat, and his wife went to work in a distraught state the next day. A little time passed, and then, much to their surprise, an orange cat with a fluffy tail showed up at their door. It was their orange cat with a fluffy tail, which meant that they had buried someone else's orange cat in their yard.

I thanked the woman for searching for the deceased cat's owner, since I certainly would want to know if it had been one of my cats. But I referred the woman to my next door neighbors, because it has been many weeks since their orange cat with a fluffy tail has been in my yard. She laughed and said that perhaps it had been her orange cat visiting my yard because these two cats were identical. Anyway, while I still do not know whose orange cat lies in a grave up the road, it is heartwarming to know I have neighbors who care about their pet-loving neighbors.