Monday, September 13, 2010

A Young Black Bear

While Rebel and I were on the sofa watching Oprah this past Friday (okay, one of us was sound asleep), I happened to glance out the window; it took me several seconds to realize I was looking at a young black bear eating acorns in my driveway, no more than a dozen feet from the house. When I jumped up to get my camera, my action woke up Rebel, who immediately started barking at our visitor. Well, if I had returned my camera to its designated location on top of the desk in the living room, I would probably have gotten some good photos. But by the time I found my camera, the bear had already moved away, due to Rebel's incessant barking. I have no one to blame but myself, since I was the one who had left the camera next to the computer, and so I wasted precious moments. Nonetheless, I am thankful I got this one photo, taken from within the house. Just in case you cannot find the bear in the original photo, I decided to enlarge a cropped version of it in which the black bear is more visible, although blurry.