Saturday, June 5, 2010

Agave

I like sugar, any kind of sugar, be it white or brown, granulated or powdered, refined or raw, etcetera. I strongly dislike artificial sweeteners of any kind or anything which tastes like an artificial sweetener, even if it is not. But after I heard Alicia Silverstone and Whoopi Goldberg mention a natural sweetener called agave on television, I thought I would give it a try. So several months ago, I purchased my first bottle of agave at Trader Joe's along with Trader Joe's Organic Maple Agave Syrup Blend. Surprise, surprise, I liked both of them so much that I purchased more agave, which I found at both Walmart and Costco. I guess I'll have to go back to Trader Joe's for the maple agave syrup blend. Anyway, the natural sweetener is a low glycemic index sweetener, which is supposedly sweeter than sugar, and a serving size of 1 tablespoon contains 60 calories. I use the agave nectar as a sweetener for my coffee. I have also tried it in baking. Am I giving up sugar? Certainly not. But I like my agave, too.