Thursday, February 4, 2010

Karma, Featured Cat of the Month

Nearly seven years ago, I obtained special permission to bring Godot to the local shelter in order for him to choose a companion, because I had decided two years of being an only child was long enough for my energetic tuxedo kitty. Besides, I thought maybe he was lonely when I was at work. Therefore, getting a playmate for Godot was an excellent idea. Taking him to the shelter, however, was a bad idea. A very bad idea. Godot turned into a wildcat as soon as we walked into the shelter.

In the room where we were going to interview prospective companions, so to speak, Godot started climbing the walls. Literally. He wanted nothing to do with anybody, and he hissed at every single feline that was brought into the room. Had it been up to me, I would have chosen a handsome, long-haired, gray-and-white male kitten, who was approximately four months old, but Godot was quite rude to the young fellow. Karma, on the other hand, was not afraid of Godot. (She was one of four kittens brought into the shelter with their mother, a tortoiseshell. I suspect the kittens were feral, since none of them wanted any kind of human contact.) Tiny Karma crawled into the cat carrier, where Godot was hiding, and proceeded to fall asleep on my cat's back. The rest is history.

Karma has always adored Godot. As for liking other new cats brought into our household, not so much. She would rather be alone with Godot. And as for humans, Karma has no real desire to be around any of us. Well, except for me, a little. After all, I am the provider of food. But I must say, when people who do not know anything about cats talk about cats being aloof and not providing real companionship for people, in comparison to dogs, that is, they are thinking of cats like Karma. But Karma is the exception rather than the rule, since most cats make great companions for people, in my experience. Nonetheless, since Karma is Godot's true companion, I have always respected her aloofness toward people. If she were human, Karma would definitely be called an introvert. And I can certainly relate to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment