Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow Cavalry to the Rescue

Whether or not my car can squeeze out of the garage remains to be seen, because a high wall of snow has been erected across part of the driveway. And that would be the circular part of the driveway, which I use to back out of the garage. Theoretically, I should be able to make a three-point turn on the cleared part of the pavement. Excuse me, at least a six-point turn is needed in order to get the car out facing forward. There's no way I plan on backing out the entire length of my long and curvy driveway. That would be comical, I'm sure, to see me hitting the walls of snow on both sides of my narrow snow maze. Even if I did make it to the top of the driveway, there's a good possibility that I would slide into the ditch across the road. At any rate, I do not intend to chance it.

I had almost resigned myself to being snowed-in until the spring thaw, but then the snow cavalry came to my rescue yesterday. I was thrilled to see them. First, my next-door neighbor arrived with his snow thrower. Getting a new spurt of energy upon the arrival of help, I shovelled snow until I could do no more, and then Mikey and I sat in one of the Adirondack chairs on our snow-covered deck. With my eyes closed and feeling the warmth of the sun on my face, I imagined myself on a beach somewhere. I digress. In the evening, the snow cavalry arrived on two ATVs with plows, and they were impressed at how much snow my neighbor had blown off the driveway. Well, the two ATVs could only do so much, since there was very limited room to push the remaining snow off the driveway. Nevertheless, I am thankful that they gave me enough cleared-off space to make my theoretical three- or six-point turn. As for the wall across the circular part of the driveway, it will stand until the spring thaw, I'm afraid.

Taking snow drifts into consideration, our last blizzard brought us somewhere between 26 and 37 inches of snow, according to my neighbor. I didn't measure it, but another person told me we got 36 inches of the white stuff. Plus, we already had snow on the ground. Therefore, the snow on my deck will have to stay there until it melts. I did, however, shovel a narrow path to the shed, just in case a feral cat or another animal decided to wait out the blizzard under there and then found himself buried by the snow.

Oh, a friend of mine phoned on Sunday to warn me to shovel snow for only fifteen minutes at a time and then rest for five minutes, etc. I laughed and told him I like my system better: shovel snow for five minutes and then rest for an hour-and-a-half. Unfortunately, this is potential heart attack snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment