Monday, September 21, 2009

Recommendations for Feeding an FIV-positive Cat

Last Friday, when I phoned KV Pet to inquire about products that might be helpful for Ponzo, I got the opportunity to speak at length with Dr. Porter, DVM. Therefore, this post is about the first part of our conversation, which centered around Ponzo's diet. Dr. Porter's recommendations for feeding an FIV-infected cat are as follows: feed human-grade protein; grain-free catfood; organ meat, such as chicken livers and hearts; Transfer Factor Feline Complete; and distilled water (2-3 weeks each month).

When I asked Dr. Porter if there was any kind of seasoning I could use in making chicken soup for Ponzo, I had to chuckle when he replied, "Nature doesn't season." Bottom line is, the more natural the food, the better. Common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment