Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Valerian Plant's Resident-in-Hiding

The valerian plant I keep on the deck has uninvited guests, who find shelter and free meals all in one location. The insect in the photo was the first such guest, who insisted he had every right to become a squatter. Whenever I approached, he would hide on one of the other plants and later return to the valerian plant, of course, when he was certain it would be safe. He simply invoked squatter's rights according to nature. Anyway, after numerous failed attempts, I finally caught the green squatter and threw him off the deck. That only inconvenienced him; he came back. But the next time I caught him in my humane insect trap, I relocated him a couple of hundred feet away. He has not returned. However, other different insects have followed in his footsteps onto the valerian plant. Coincidentally, they have all been the same shade of green--they blend in quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment