Friday, September 18, 2009

The View

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Proverb

That is what Whoopi Goldberg said on The View this week. As I've said before, we all quote.

At approximately 4 AM, I discovered my cats viewing one of the bathroom walls with great interest. There was nothing to be seen, only something to be heard, since somebody was trying to gnaw their way into the bathroom. I can't imagine a mouse being that loud. I heard something being dropped inside the wall. It made the same sound as a walnut falling against wood, which made me think of squirrels. Anyway, the gnawing continued, on and off, for nearly half an hour. Then much to the disappointment of my cats, but to my great relief, the gnawing stopped. I visualized the mystery animal gnawing through the wood and giving up after striking bathroom tile.

We have had unwelcome house guests over the years. Assorted spiders, a snake, and numerous mice. But we have had no drop-in rodents or reptilian visitors for at least a couple of years now. However, every spring my cats inform me that there is someone living under the bathtub. I hear sounds emanating from there also, but I am not about to remove the bathtub panel in order to find out who had babies. I like to think that it's an opossum family. There is the possibility of it being a family of snakes that visits for a few weeks each spring; that keeps my curiosity in check. After all, curiosity killed the cat.




No comments:

Post a Comment