Friday, October 23, 2009

The Louder He Talked

"The louder he talked of his honour,
the faster we counted our spoons."
--R. W. Emerson

To the best of my knowledge, I have never had a single guest go home with any of my spoons, accidentally or otherwise. However, my black ceramic spoon rest has been missing for approximately two years now. If one of my cats had decided it would make an interesting toy, I probably would have found it in at least a couple of pieces on the kitchen floor. I did search under all the furniture, just in case it had survived a fall from the counter, and I even looked in all of my kitchen cabinets. The spoon rest vanished into thin air! If it disappeared by accident, then perhaps a well-meaning guest had somehow thrown the spoon rest into the trash with some garbage. That would be a stretch, but I suppose that could be a possibility. (This is why I do not like guests hovering in my small kitchen.) If that was not the case, did someone go home with an unintended, unusual party favor?

No comments:

Post a Comment