Saturday, October 10, 2009

Saint Seton's Orphaned Animals

When I happened to be reading a local newspaper this past week about the annual Festival of Leaves, I noticed that one of the food vendors would be Saint Seton's Orphaned Animals. I immediately decided I needed to attend the festival today, just to find out some information about this organization. The name really intrigued me.

Introducing myself as an animal lover and a vegetarian (and not someone interested in their crab cakes--although I heard they were delicious), I had the opportunity to chat with the two nice gentlemen who were raising funds by selling food at the festival. When I learned that Saint Seton's Orphaned Animals assists people who are receiving Meals-on-Wheels, I smiled because it brought back memories from the time when I worked for a Senior Outreach Program, and so I was familiar with Meals-on-Wheels. How wonderful, I thought, that there is an organization which helps feed the pets of the elderly, the sick, and those hurt by our present economy! By the way, they are involved with the Rappahannock Area Agency on Aging Pet Food Program in Virginia.

I wish that other Area Agencies on Aging throughout the country would establish similar pet food programs. And what about the possibility of other agencies and organizations assisting pet owners who have been hit the hardest by the economy? It is heartbreaking to hear on the news that people who have lost their homes have been forced to give up their pets--family members who have provided them with unconditional love and companionship. I happen to disagree with anyone who says that pets are luxuries, but instead of getting on my soapbox regarding pets, I am going to refer you to the website of Saint Seton's Orphaned Animals.

Please visit http://www.saintseton.com/ for information on this fine organization, which was established in April 2002. And please also visit the websites of animal rescue groups in your own area.

No comments:

Post a Comment