Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Walking Sticks Mating


I promised a friend I would take a photo of a walking stick for her, so that she could show her husband what they look like, and today was the first time this year that I saw the stick-like insect. Only it turned out to be two walking sticks mating. Out of curiosity, I googled walking sticks and learned that they are listed under the Phasmatodea or Phasmida order of insects. As depicted in my photo, the female is much larger than the male. By the way, very few walking sticks are male. I knew they are vegetarians. However, I did not know that sometimes the male rides on a female's back for a couple of weeks, until she is ready to mate with him, and their coupling may last for hours, days or even weeks.

1 comment:

  1. These insects are facinating; their camouflage is truly unique. I have not encountered these insects in my part of the country (Canada) and I have never seen anything like them before or after my encounter. It looks like a non descript broken twig until it moves upright across your path.

    ReplyDelete