Sunday, August 16, 2009

"The Cats' Underground Railroad Passageway"


Over the years, many cats, opossums, and a few raccoons have used what I've dubbed "the cats' underground railroad passageway" as a safe entrance onto my deck and also a quick exit. Word has gotten out, apparently, since a number of ferals have come here, dined on the deck, and stayed for a while before moving on. The passageway has also served as a shelter for the sick and injured. Anyway, one of my neighbors' cats must have found out somehow that I planned to write about discovering a gravely ill Ponzo in "the cats' underground railroad passageway," because I found the black cat volunteering to re-enact the scene this morning. And so, I took this photo of him. Now, just imagine me lying face down on the deck, determined to pull out the small feral cat, and picking him up for the first time. For the record, I had gotten to know Ponzo quite well in a short time. We had already reached the point in our relationship where Ponzo would come running when he heard his name. In fact, he enjoyed walking beside me. When it comes to heeling, Ponzo's a natural. Or is he an unnatural? After all, he is a cat. I digress. On July 1, I rushed Ponzo to the vet's office; he had a temperature of 105.8 F. Fortunately, two days later, Ponzo's temperature was 102.5 F. and he was able to come home. Meaning come live inside my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment