Friday, August 21, 2009

Mikey, the Black Bear Follower





















There is no doubt now that it was a black bear who had moved the doghouse on the deck. When I went outside to water some plants this afternoon, I took Rebel with me. That is, I put my dog on his cable stake-out, and then I went about my business. A few minutes later, Rebel spotted the black bear, who had either been napping or foraging for food in the woods behind the shed. Fortunately, my fearless dog was tied up, otherwise he would have gone after the bear--in a friendly fashion, mind you; needless to say, if the bear lacked Rebel's enthusiasm to strike up a friendship, there could have been a problem. But the bear decided to go elsewhere, moving slowly and quietly, then stopping and glancing back at us, as if maybe he was changing his mind about leaving. Anyway, by the time I got my camera and tried to take a photo of the bear, he had already disappeared from my sight. However, I discovered that Mikey, my Himalayan, had been following and observing the bear from a safe distance. In the past, I have seen Mikey follow all sorts of four-legged visitors, such as deer, opossums, and raccoons, but never a bear. Well, all the photos of my few bear sightings over the years have one thing in common: no bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment