Sunday, August 23, 2009

Positive FIV Test


Seven weeks and two days ago, Ponzo came home with the dreaded diagnosis of FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus). The good news was that he had tested negative for FeLV (feline leukemia virus). None of my other cats, past or present, had ever tested positive, but I feared the deadly names of the FeLV and FIV retroviruses. (Actually, I had erroneously thought they were the same retrovirus, and I believed that the FeLV somehow morphed into FIV.) I learned that FeLV is usually transmitted through saliva contact, such as through mutual grooming or by sharing food and water bowls; there's also the danger of FeLV transmission via shared litter pans, etc. So, sharing is the operative word for FeLV. The spread of FIV, however, is usually through bite wounds, and that is one form of transmission FIV has in common with FeLV. Biting! So taking the rest of my feline household into consideration, I suppose it is fortunate that Ponzo has the retrovirus caused by biting instead of sharing. Both FeLV-infected and FIV-infected cats can lead apparently healthy lives, from what I have read. Nonetheless, it has been one day at a time for Ponzo; I mean that literally for the entire month of July. But he's been getting stronger on a daily basis since the beginning of this month, and I am pleased to report that two days ago, while I sat at my computer, Ponzo demonstrated his many skills in playing with all of his toys, including a ball which he had found on his own. Right now, Ponzo looks like a typically healthy, happy cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment