Saturday, August 15, 2009

What's in a Name?




I was inspired by Nathan Lane to give the name Ponzo to the little feral cat who had taken up residence in my bush of orange daylilies. The amusing actor was making the talk show rounds to promote the play Waiting for Godot, and I figured if he could change the pronunciation of my tuxedo cat's name by accenting the first syllable instead of the second one, then I could change the character Pozzo's name in Waiting for Godot to Ponzo. Seriously, I just liked the sound of "Ponzo" whenever I yelled for him to come out of his hiding place. Besides, I wanted a cat name that would go with Godot's name. As you can see in these photos, timid Ponzo sat waiting for Godot to approach him. (Godot is supposed to be an indoor cat, but that's another story.) As for Godot's name, I shall continue accenting the second syllable, even if it may not be the correct pronunciation. Personally, I think it sounds better that way, just as accenting the second syllable of "Thoreau" sounds better to me than correctly accenting the first one. My Godot.

No comments:

Post a Comment