Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ponzo is Anemic

A couple of days after I brought Ponzo home in July, I was horrified to see that he had vomited clumping cat litter on the carpet. I could not care less about the carpet. My concern was that Ponzo had been eating cat litter--and, making it worse, it was clumping cat litter. The thought that raced through my mind: if the cat litter clumps in a litterbox, what would it do inside a cat's body? I was thankful that, apparently, Ponzo's body must have rejected the clumping cat litter right away. I rushed to the store to buy plain, unscented clay cat litter, but Ponzo decided it should be included in his diet as well. Since I had learned that anemic cats may sometimes eat cat litter, I started giving Ponzo a liquid iron supplement with vitamins which someone recommended. It worked! A few days later, Ponzo stopped eating cat litter. I have been giving him the iron supplement on a daily basis, and it is now safe for me to use the clumping cat litter in Ponzo's litterbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment