Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Five-Cat Chorus


Since two of my cats were due for annual vaccinations today while three others were due at the end of this month, I combined the visits. My strategy was: to place the five cat carriers in the bathroom a day in advance, to not feed the cats the day of the visit, to lure them into the bathroom with some favorite catfood an hour before our scheduled departure, and to shut the bathroom door behind them very quickly. All well and good up to that point. I even got an extra cat, Locksley, into the bathroom. Somehow nonchalant Locksley knew that none of the carriers were earmarked for him. But the others certainly realized they had been duped: nowhere to run and nowhere to hide! So it surprised me when one of my captives voluntarily walked into the soft cat carrier; perhaps Emma hoped the unique carrier was to remain at home. At any rate, it was one down and four to go! It got harder with each cat, and I definitely saved the best for last, so to speak. Quentin and I engaged in a lengthy, silent battle of wills and strength, and I think he assumed this would be a fair contest, meaning no teeth, claws, or towels allowed. Luckily, he played by fair rules. I did not. And then a five-cat chorus entertained me on the long drive to see the vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment