Friday, January 29, 2010

A Kitten Named Godot

This is a cropped photo of the one my brother-in-law took the day my family met Godot, which was about a week or so after I brought my tuxedo kitten home from the shelter. Godot was approximately two months old at the time. I had gone to the shelter armed with a long list of names for my future kitten or cat. That is, I had decided I would name a white feline Emily, if female, a black-and-white tuxedo feline Godot, if male, etc. I don't remember the rest of the names, because it was eight-and-a-half years ago, but I am sure I have used some of the other names since then. Anyway, there were lots of kittens at the shelter that day, but only one tuxedo kitten, who was alone in a cage. Since the litters were kept together, I thought that perhaps Godot had been an only child. I inquired, but I was told that information was confidential, which did not make sense to me. After all, I merely wanted to know the circumstances of his birth, that is, whether or not he had siblings. Well, I spent forty minutes observing people admiring the two adult tuxedo cats, whom I had considered, but nobody even glanced at Godot, who was the handsomest kitten at the shelter, in my humble opinion. It was as if he were invisible to everyone but me. In my heart, I knew Godot was the one, even before I spent some time with him in a room designated for prospective pet owners. Oh, just for comparison's sake, I first asked to see another kitten, since I am fond of tortoiseshells, but she hightailed it out of the room immediately, and I was somewhat relieved. Godot was a little purring machine, who was very happy to be with me in that little room. And the rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment