Friday, January 22, 2010

When Simon Thatched the Roof

When I was a child, I recall hearing the expression when Simon thatched the roof. Now, I have a lot of when Simon thatched the roof moments, as I call them, since many times I don't remember the exact day something occurred, but I can relate it to an event. For example, I don't remember the day of the week, or how many weeks ago (guessing, somewhere between 2-4 weeks), I realized that it would have been a good idea if I had shovelled a path for the propane gas delivery guy. But I do recall it was the day Rebel alerted me to the fact that the propane gas truck was stuck at the bottom of our neighbor's unplowed driveway across the road. And then I realized, that although our driveway had been cleared sufficiently for the truck to make its way to our house, there were huge mounds of snow lining the driveway, which would mean the delivery guy would have to climb over our mini-snow mountains in order to get to the propane gas tank. Well, after his unsuccessful delivery attempt across the road that day when Simon thatched the roof, so to speak, either my house wasn't on the delivery schedule or else the delivery guy had decided to wait until the mounds of snow had nearly disappeared, because I didn't see him again until yesterday. He got here in the nick of time, because my propane gas tank was low and last night we had more wintry precipitation. Once again, my yard is a winter wonderland. However, if I need to recall the day that we had our most recent propane gas delivery, my when Simon thatched the roof point of reference would be the day our evening wintry mix prevented my family from taking the hour's drive here in order to take me out for dinner. Actually, I would have two references, because my second when Simon thatched the roof would also be the day when I placed the tree with the lopsided root ball into a Styrofoam tub, which was too small.

No comments:

Post a Comment