Monday, April 26, 2010

Why I Do Not Mow My Lawn

There are many reasons why I do not mow my lawn. First of all, I live in the woods, which is really no place for a lawn. It would have been better if the previous owner had not chopped down so many trees in order to attempt to make this property look like a little piece of suburbia in the woods. But that was then, not now, since I have allowed nature to reclaim much of the land.

The parts of my property which are still considered lawn are not really lawn in the usual sense of the word. I have interesting plants such as those in the photo cropping up unexpectedly here and there, along with the usual dandelions. (As you can see, I have not finished raking my leaves--and it is almost May.) If it were not for the wildflowers (and dandelions), I really would not have much of a green lawn.

As for my lawn mower, I have not touched it in years. I am serious. I weed whack my grass and wild plants, one little section at a time. It seems a shame to cut down wildflowers in their prime. In short, I do not have a true grass lawn, only something that passes for a traditional lawn from a distance--a great distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment